Sunday, June 12, 2011

RICE米AURANT by BIG

Finding a place to eat everyday is a battle. Despite being in Malaysia (haven for food), it is equally hard to decide. Anyway, today we opt for Rice米aurant, Bangsar Village II after much hype from their FB campaign. I'm not sure whether Rice米aurant was opened before ben's or the other way round. If I am not mistaken, it was supposed to be a Japanese restaurant called "For Goodness Sake". I guess they did not do so well and hence the change of concept. (smart & fast thinking!)

We reached shortly after 7pm and we were the first patron for dinner service. We receive warm greetings from the floor manager and server.


The signage that greeted us upon entry. Couldn't resist snapping a pic. I have a thing for the chinese character '米' 

Reminiscing the good old days when I was back in school. It reminds me of homework!

The menu. Simple and straight to the point. Under each category there are only a few style of cooking. So, no headache there. As you know, Chinese restaurants normally have tons and tons of style of cooking for a type of meat. I like the simplicity in their menu.

Table deco. The ambience is dark with a hint of light from the lantern on each individual table. Oh so romantic! It feels like I'm in another dimension or era. (if I don't look out the glass window facing Border's)

Hanging red lanterns by the glass window to block out Border's (I suppose). Love the deco but the chair is so wrong.

The cutlery. Pretty much BIG group signature cutlery. I was hoping to see wooden chopsticks.

Soup of the day : Winter Melon Soup (RM5.90)
Should've scoop up the ingredient before snapping the pic. Tastes good, definitely much better than Esquire Kitchen's soup.

After a while, only did I realised that the top of the kitchen is decorated with tiffin carrier. Oh the good old days when mom was too tired to cook and we ordered from those food delivery services where we exchange tiffin carrier daily for the following day's meal.

Salted Egg with Bitter Gourd (RM12.90)
For those who dislike bitter gourd, this is something that you should try out. First and foremost, the salted egg overpowers the bitter gourd's bittersweet taste. Therefore this dish is definitely a winner. However, it is best shared among a party of four.

Salted Fish Omelette (RM12.90)
This dish is tasty too but a tad too oily. Shouldn't have ordered this as the previous dish is already salty. Argghhh my cholestrol level will be rising again!

Ginger & Spring Onions Beef  (RM18.90)
To me, this dish is okay and there are plenty of room for improvement. As I love this specific dish, I will normally order it from different restaurant to gauge its quality. The best I've had so far was at The Chinese Restaurant, Hyatt Hotel Kota Kinabalu. It was my saviour during my flying days. I will always remember it and I crave for it once in a while. Perhaps I should fly over there someday soon to eat it again.

 I will definitely visit RICE米AURANT again because I have yet to try their Lotus Root Soup. Another one of my favorite but it is only available on Mondays. And it's a bitch to travel all the way to Bangsar after a long day at work. 
On a final note, I wish that  RICE米AURANT would use proper chinese tea cup for tea servings instead of those plastic-ky nonsense they have at Canoodling. If you want to potray authenticity, the least you could do is put some consideration into your choice of cutlery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Design by BlogSpotDesign | Ngetik Dot Com